PDA

View Full Version : Spark plugs + Wires

TrippZ
02-02-2003, 11:03 AM
Exactly how much of a difference do stepped up plugs and wires make? I didnt think they were that big of a difference but everywhere i look people have them..

anyone?

bioevolve
02-02-2003, 11:40 AM
1-2 hp from plugs (NA), you won't feel it thou.
We don't have plug wires, we have direct coils. Don't know of anyone making performace coils for you our cars yet.

02blksi
02-02-2003, 01:06 PM
cant get plug wires for the ep distributorless ignition... Plugs, well you may gain a 1hp or 2 compared to old worn out owns.. If i were going to replace them id use either OEM or Denso. --Joe :)

BlasTech
02-02-2003, 01:21 PM
The advise from wise people I've heard is use OEM, and replace them more often...like 15K...to always have the best performance. The noted gains of putting in fancy plugs are usually just the gains you'd get from getting rid of old plugs anyway. It'll still cost less in the long run than expensive plugs that may degrade even faster.

Specialty plugs are needed for boosted applicaitons, where a specially tuned spark is desired.

As for wires, I dont know of any upgrades for our vehicles, but here is an eye-opening article about spark cables from Temple of V-tec Asia:
http://asia.vtec.net/beystock/tuning/plugcable.html

SiR Medic
02-03-2003, 07:34 AM
Click this link:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pb/journalist.htm

If after-market plugs and wires were really that much better, wouldn't more car manufacturers put them in as stock?

chunky
02-03-2003, 10:23 AM
i'm pretty sure that the si comes with platinum or iridium plugs from the factory.

on clubrsx, the base model has already been proven to have iridium plugs, and the si's owner's manual specifies the same part # as the base rsx manual.

and as mentioned before, we don't have traditional spark plug wires, only an ignition coil above each plug.

bioevolve
02-03-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by chunky
i'm pretty sure that the si comes with platinum or iridium plugs from the factory.

on clubrsx, the base model has already been proven to have iridium plugs, and the si's owner's manual specifies the same part # as the base rsx manual.

and as mentioned before, we don't have traditional spark plug wires, only an ignition coil above each plug.
Yes the stock plugs are Denso Iridium IK20. But you can use IK22 (1 step colder) or IK24 ((2 step colder)that is what I use, cuz n2o).