Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

driving TOO slow = more gas?

does accelerating TOO slow waste more gas then accelerating harder? cuz trying to save gas, i would accelerate hella slow and it would a while for my rpm's to hit 3(i always shift at 3K).. but these days, i've been accelerating faster, still shifting and 3k and my gas seems to go down slower... so my question is...
    does accelerating too slow use more gas?

anyone at all know?
    damn i wish i had the vivid blue Si. looks so nice.

Originally posted by civic hatch boi
    anyone at all know?
    damn i wish i had the vivid blue Si. looks so nice.
    I am gettin one..:D

I don't see how you get anywhere shifting at 3k. I've tried that but it takes forever to get up to speed because I'm having to shift gears almost right behind each other. If it works for you then that is really good, wish I could do that to save gas.
    Last edited by sonic imperial; 11-01-2002 at 06:34 AM.

I always shift around 3000-3400 rpm and at normal acceleration.
    and i'm getting really good gas mileage. pretty much what the specs state. yeah you do have to shift very quickly especialy 1st to 2nd gear.

the blue colour is nice but I'm happy with mine.
    i find that certain colours like blue,red, yellow tend to get boring over time. they're always nice to look at when you see one but that's because you're not looking at it everyday.

To Civic Hatch Boi,Yes.Try Union76's gas they now have no MBTE.Remember the thread" MBTE=low MPG"

shift points

I disagree with honda's shift point of about 3400 rpm...I ususally shift around 3800 under normal acceleration. This affects my gas mileage negatively, yes, but the transmission in our EPs is optimized for performance and the shift is easier, smoother at this higher rpm. If you are having a hard time shifting or engaging the clutch smoothly, try shifting at a higher rpm - it makes a big difference! Perhaps once I replace my ecu map with hondata's, the increased low end torque + hp will make a 3400 rpm shift more reasonable.

Dallas2k2Si

Talking

There are several variables to increasing the mileage. Steady movements of throttle vs. rapid, shift points that match the traffic's level of acceleration (traffic slow? shift early), and in my case, using the cruise control whenever possible to avoid spooling up over the speed limit. Once over the limit, I tend to speed up and slow down depending on whether or not I have cover or am exposed to radar possibilities. In Dallas it's easy to set the cruise about 5% over the speed limit and just cruise easy while everybody else on the road rushes by while holding their latte while talking on the phone while screaming at the kids (who aren't wearing seatbelts) as they run through red lights.

Right now I'm up to 27 mpg, which is way higher (like, 5mpg) than what I was getting when I was driving like the leader of the pack!! :D I don't need the added anxiety when driving to and from work anyway, so taking it easy has made my day a little more peaceful too. I don't particularly give a crap about gas mileage, but it's nice to see that the car will respond to a different driving style.

Originally posted by Silvershadow
    To Civic Hatch Boi,Yes.Try Union76's gas they now have no MBTE.Remember the thread" MBTE=low MPG"
    is this proven?? mtbe = low gas??? are u seoirus?

Canuck
    I know on the previous generation CTR and ITR their fuel consumption curves were a slight parabolic shape based on rpms. They had higher fuel consumption on the lower rpms, then it dropped in the lower mid range, and then started to rise again to the high rpms. Thus going by that diagram they were getting their best fuel economy around 4000 rpms. I know on my b16a engine my fuel economy did not get any worse when I cruised at 4000 rpms compared to 3500 rpms on the highway. I think it has a lot to do with your torque curve, where the engine makes good torque you use less throttle to move the car. I would think shifting between 3000 and 4000 rpms is probably optimal on our cars. If you shift too low and the engine has to be put under higher load in the next gear to accelerate you could theoretically use more fuel. It's hard to say with exact accuracy but in theory it could be plausible. I basically shift around 4000 rpms the majority of the time in normal city driving.

I also noticed that my 1-2 shift is smoother when it occurs at higher rpms, when it occurs at lower rpms it is more notchy feeling, and less smooth.

Try a faster acceleration and use the Union 76 gas.When MBTE showed up myMPG fell 10%.Friends noticed the same thing.MBTE was a stupid mistake.It runs cleaner,BUT people end up using 10-15% more gas...It's a win-win for the gas companies$$$$$$$$$and still is because you'll (WE) will be paying for them to recope thier $$$$ after they stop using it .Alcohol is replacing it.The prob W/this is it dries up rubber seals in the long run.When FORD ran corn alcohol in Brazil within 3 years all the rubber seals leaked.They no longer use Corn alcohol.

To learn more about MBTE call Bill Wattenburg(spelling?) at KGO 810 AM.I don't know the LOcal radio station in your area.This guy knows his shi_.

JSIR may not be totally correct.THe CTR &ITR v-tec activates at a much higher RPM(around 6K,I think) than the Si.The Si activates at a much lower RPM.The higher revs will use more gas ecspecially when V-tec is ON.

MBTE?

What does MBTE mean?

hmm. i dunno wut it could be.. i went to la this w/e... i filled up with cheveron in LA(91)... and also., i've been shifting at like 3.4-3.8k now... and im at a little bit under half with 171miles... dang. that's way better!!! i dunno if it's LA's gas or if it's my shifting.. or both.!!!! i wish i could get mileage like this ALL the time..

how many gallons does it take you all to fill up when the gas light is on?

mine was on, i filled up and it only took 9.4 gallons. the manual says 13.2 gallon tank. must have a huge reserve.

yeah we get a good 3-3.5g in our reserve.. which is good.. i hate waiting til im on E...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information