Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    awesome thanks for the write-up, I will be doing tranny work in the near future.

Well after looking and not having luck finding a 5 speed, I decided to take the tranny off myself and with the money that I would have used to buy the new tranny and labor,I'll use it towards having my tranny rebuild. Also I've been thinking, since I'm boosted and hopefully soon will be over 400 whp, I know that I'll be repairing again the tranny in the future.
    I will be using this DYI.
    Any words of advise, will be appreciated. :der:

nice write up.. im doing this now i cant find torque specs..!! i need torque specs for the flywheel and if on hand for the presure plate.. thanks.???

Quote Originally Posted by goldEp View Post
    nice write up.. im doing this now i cant find torque specs..!! i need torque specs for the flywheel and if on hand for the presure plate.. thanks.???
    76 ft lbs for the flywheel, and 19 ft lbs for the pressure plate.

Wow... this is an awsome write-up. I'm totally gonna do this soon.

soon-to-be-EP3
    i think ill have a shop do it for me O.o its not too much to ask for a shop to install an aftermarket clutch that i provide right?

Most shops should be more than happy to install any clutch you give them as long as it's the right one Out here i was quoted $700-$800 though which makes me want to get a jack that can lift higher than the one i own and do it myself!

I think anyone with the tools can and should do it. You get to know so muuuuch about your car while tearing it down that the experience is invaluable. The feeling of accomplishment is a high in and of itself. DOOOO ITTTT... take the extra money to buy some new tools.... and the extra 400 u'll have left over even after buying tools can be used for a night out on the town or a deposit into a "power maker" fund....

I've been in the process of doing this (and other things) and what I've learned is, our engine bay is way too fucking cramped! And huge props to the OP for being able to do this in 4 hours. I still can't wrap my head around that one.

soon-to-be-EP3
    i had to stick my thin arm through the engine bay to get a screw, thing is, wasnt even the ep3! it was the honda fit! i guess all compact hatches are like that? -shrugs- they still come out nice lol

Awesome, I'll have the balls to try this when the time comes...

I'm also looking to swap in a 6th gear...

Started the work on this job today. I got as far as the trans on the floor and called it quits. I need new engine mounts and since the AC compressor is on it's way, I'm gonna wait for it before I finish up. I figure it'll be a lot easier to do mounts and AC while the sub frame is leaned up against the wall.

Any thoughts on the Innovative motor mounts? I see all four for $370.... not trusting the eBay 'stock' look-a-likes. Rather go with something a bit 'sporty' since the clutch and flywheel aren't stock (lighter flywheel and exedy clutch). I don't have any power mods... but who knows. No more car payment on my Sti.... might start putting money into the cars, instead of the bank.

Some points I'd like to make about the install. This guide kinda misses on some points along the way. Things that might go better if done in a certain order, or things not mentions. Most noted in my mind were some covers and subframe. I'd recommend removing the LCA bolts forst (19mm in blue) and having them held out of the way.... then remove the actual frame bolts, which are 17mm. Oh.... silly but remember that when you pop off that drain plug to have your pan situated out from under the drain hole. LOL It isn't 'gear' oil in there, it's motor oil, so it sorta 'shoots' out of the hole with a nice arc to it. I missed the pan by like 4". Also removing the tires from the wheel hubs is a good idea, keeps things easier to move around.

great diy im about to do this in the next week doesnt look too hard but its a lot better when you have a lil guide like this thanks

how do you go about bleeding the clutch pedal is it a needed if you are just changing clutch? and also how do you adjust it, in cable trannys you adjust at the cable so how would you adjust the tranny on an ep ?

SSM EP3
    Quote Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post

Thats right motha fucka
    lol

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information