Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Scratching (grinding sound) when going to 3rd? Anyone else?

When i go past 3K rpm's in 2nd i switch to 3rd...All of a sudden i hear this scratching/grindin sound. but guess what it's in the gear properly. I dont understand? Why does it do this? Anyone else this happens to? help me im scared. Is our tranny's under warranty? It should be!

HELP me please.....

By the way: Our EP's Rock!

Do u hear the sound coming from the engine, or is it something you 'feel' in the shifter? Mine kinda grind into gear for awhile, but now that i have 9k+ its as smooth as butter, it freed up around 4-5K

mines at 7k and the syncros are trashed from the day i got it it grinded when i hit 2nd and 3rd but not all the time but now its like for every 10 good shifts there is 1 bad shift

its a job for warrenty

m0ns00n
    trini - does it do that every time you shift? That would definately be bad. I've haerd alot of people talking about "crunchy" second and third gear shifts, i think its "normal" while the synchros settle and get "polished".....

"Do u hear the sound coming from the engine, or is it something you 'feel' in the shifter? Mine kinda grind into gear for awhile, but now that i have 9k+ its as smooth as butter, it freed up around 4-5K"

I here it fromt he shifter...I dont know why it does that. Every time i shift...Crunch..scratchy feeling like id miss a gear or something but i dont.

im gona take it to the dealer and see what they say. Did anyone take it to the dealer cause of this problem?

mine has been in 3 times they keep telling me its fine but im sick of there shit next time i take it witch is wends of this week im gona get the dude do come in the car with me and stop all this fucking B/S

m0ns00n
    I think that crunchy feeling is "normal". Freaked me out at first too.

no mine is an actual grind

hhhmmmmm, that's not normal. Have you been slamming the gears? If you have it will wear the synchros out. Grinding is a sign of synchros going. If you continue to get that problem, it will worsen as time goes by. Whether it be 60,000 miles later, or 30,000 miles later, it will go out. Make sure when you shift at that high of an rpm you are completely in the gear with the clutch completely down, and then let off the clutch. Trust me, you don't want your synchros to go :( my 97 EX went out and it sucked!

NetDragon
    For me shifting was a little rough at first but then it went away after I got used to the less forgiving clutch in the Si. My Focus was easy as hell to shift. But I never had any grinding or crunching or anything. Always smooth. But things seems to loosen up just a little on the stick after like 1k miles. Honestly though. After putting 25k miles on my Focus I am on 3.3k miles on my Si and I am still getting used ot the clutch.

THe dealeer says that the porblem is nothing? that is stupid. WHen your driving and u switch to 3rd.......Man its embarassing! people think u missshifted or something. It so loud to.

what the fuck my car dosn't make any sounds at all it is like butter through all the gears for the most part unless i mess up myself. i admit i have grinded my gears before but it was due to me not pushing the clutch in all the way other than that i dont get any grinding sound go back to the dealer and ask how come the other ep's dont make the same sound your car does and see what they say.

themi6group
    awl man, not the syncros again. my past civic had the same. :(

sounds like a bad synchro.

it amazes me how people can wear down synchros so fast. I've got 8500 miles on my EP, and the tranny is STILL breaking in.

how bad is the grind? most likely, you just need to take things easy on the tranny for awhile.

I had a consistent grind on the 1-2 upshift for awhile, but I changed the tranny fluid @ 3000 miles and it's pretty much disappeared.

I usually double clutch all of my shifts, and shift normally only during racing, the 1-2 grind occured only when shifting normally at high rpm. If i double clutched it, it wouldn't grind.

but now it's smooth no matter what. I just chalked it up to the fact that the tranny is still breaking in and will do wierd stuff till probably about 15k miles.

PJsSCW

k20 trannys

same thing happened to rsx type-s's. Service bulletin out for rsx type-s s syncros they grind. especially from first to second.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information