Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Great results! 150 whp with minimal mods, awesome! But about those magic grounding cables... You said you made 8 pulls - did you try any different set-ups during the 8 pulls? That's the real value of a dyno session is to try different things to see what works and learn something. I really want to know if you tried a run with the magic cables disconnected - it would have been soooo easy to do and give us all some idea of what they do or don't do for power.

I plan to make similar mods to my Si. I already have the AEM CAI. My next mod will be the Hondata Heatshield gasket and then a crush-bent midpipe and maybe a muffler. If anyone does a dyno comparison with and without the "magic cables" I might do that too. Based on your experience, that will put me in the 150 whp range. Add a Hondata ECU upgrade and we could break 160 whp with stock internals and stock header!

YES I DID make a run with the cables disconnected 1 run only though as i was running out of time.. and had no more money.
    That run without the cables netted me 146.6 whp and 129.4 ftlbs, after those runs (apprx 2 runs later i reached my 149 run with the cables on, i was trying my darndest to get 150whp CORRECTED!! I coud only muster not that its bad, 149.7, so i can conclude that THEY did work, as i have said before. The reason why im so cautious when i say they worked is because i realize that the cables could have done nothing on those runs as well even though the numbers reflected otherwise, the engine just may have been running really well at that point. That aside, I noticed (butt dyno an increase with my cables.) BUT im VERY CAREFUL to speculate ACTUAL gains. I can only tell you what i saw on my dyno runs, the run i made without the cables, i lost power 2 whp and almost 1 ftlbs. with them on i reached my best numbers. Like i said before these cables dont ADD hrpwr the release whats already there IMO. Believe what you want, I will keep these on my car!!! --

BTW as promised videos and pictures from my dyno session:
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291015751
    click the link and if it asks for a user name and password use the following.,

username: guest
    Pass: guest

ENJOY :) =Joe.

Originally posted by 02blksi

That run without the cables netted me 146.6 whp and 129.4 ftlbs, after those runs (apprx 2 runs later i reached my 149 run with the cables on, i was trying my darndest to get 150whp CORRECTED!!
    Thanks, Joe. It may not be conclusive, but it is pretty good evidence that the cables work.
    I have noticed that there is a sort of "stepped" or surging effect during acceleration. It's barely noticeable but it is there. Is this something that you have noticed as well and did the cables seem to make a difference with that? Coincedentally, I have noticed the same thing in my Odyssey Minivan. Is this a Honda thing?

Yes!! that is what i loved most about the cables it smoothed my idle out (dead as nails 800rpm ALWAYS even with every accesory on and radio blasting), No more dimming headlights @ idle!!! with the same scenario as above, and accelreation is VERY smooth whether its part throttle or full throttle its very smooth. --Thanks -Joe :)

ephatch member
    your cable kit is looking more and more attractive

Canuck
    I better go see my lawyer tomorrow, the interest in Joe's cables is going to skyrocket now and I don't see any royalties for me !

I better go see my lawyer tomorrow, the interest in Joe's cables is going to skyrocket now and I don't see any royalties for me !

HAHAa, yea people seem intrested :)
    BTW: My kit is different from your anyways, A good DIY'r takes an idea and makes it better LOL ;) :D :p jk...

the checks in the mail --Joe

PS: dont be surprised if one night you are flipping channels and see me on an infomercial HAHAAAaa like jack la lains juicer. --

:D
    Last edited by 02blksi; 12-08-2002 at 08:39 PM.

I'm still not clear what these grounding straps are. Did I guess right earlier?

Canuck
    Originally posted by 02blksi

BTW: A good DIY'r takes an idea and makes it better LOL ;) :D :p jk...

:D
    you're right , I have already changed the runs of my wires completely different from my first setup. I am thinking my new connection points are working better, I should test them out next time I get to the dyno.

Myeverlovinsir - do not release the pictures you have of my new grouding wire setup until I can get them patented !.

Ah who cares, go ahead and show them, I'm too lazy to make a second pair anyways. :D
    Last edited by JSIR; 12-08-2002 at 09:03 PM.

Originally posted by myeverlovinsir

you are correct sir. 4th is the closest gear we have to 1:1 and
    is the protocol. But you will find that the numbers are somewhat
    disappointing compared to 3rd. (Aside from the drivetrain loads)
    Every vehicle has a happy zone ratio.
    3rd: 1.212, 4th: 0.921
    What do you mean by "disappointing"? If 4th gear is the protocol shouldn't it be the only one used? If 3rd gear gives better numbers, wouldn't 2nd or even 1st give even better numbers? I want to know what hp my car is laying down, but I want it to be accurate. Not flaming here, just curious. Thanks.

Canuck
    it seems that the use of different gears will result in different numbers, but the overall difference is pretty small. Seems like 4th gear will give you a bit lower hp number, but a bit higher torque number. And vice-versa for 3rd gear, 2nc gear, etc.... . Personally I like to use 3rd gear on motors with low torque (sport compacts). 3rd gear puts less stress on the drivetrain, and the dyno runs are shorter in length. Our 4th gear is over-driven, which puts a bit more load on things trying to floor the throttle from low rpms 2000 and up. Also the car is standing still without the air flow going through it like it normally would have on the street, so I like a shorter dyno run with that in mind. Even with a fan blowing on it, the car doesn't cool as well. The dyno corrects for gearing, but it is a calculation and there can be some error in it. A 1:1 ratio would be best, but I don't think the difference between 3rd and 4th gears is all that huge in our case.

ephatch member
    So...I guess that stock muffler is a little restrictive. Looks like the bigger midpipe/stock muffler combo might not be the best to go with.

if you like a quiet stealthy system -stick with the stock system

if you want the most power -IMO- get an aftermarket non baffled/straight flow thru muffler (the lighter the better to) ..

--Joe :)

Canuck
    from what I have seen the stock muffler isnt restrictive at all, besides it is the same one used on the CTR which makes over 200 hp. I think it is just about reaching a certain level of flow in the entire system. Perhaps having the full cat back exhaust with stock header is the same flow as having the header, larger midpipe,and stock muffler. But having a header, and catback exhaust may not necessarily give any additional gains. At the most we are talking 1-2 whp in the exhaust system by the looks of things.

"from what I have seen the stock muffler isnt restrictive at all"

Looks can be decieving (sp) the stock muffler although a very nice piece, is still BAFFLED. these baffles create restriction plain and simple.

take your exhaust off look through the tips you see daylight?

take my N1 off, look through the tip-- you see daylight! - you get the idea.

Id be curious to see you dyno (JSIR) with a straight flow through muffler with your setup (wish i lived closer id give it to you), how do you know that your stock muffler isnt the "bottleneck" on your system right now preventing you from getting 160whp? especially with a bored throttle body and header/midpipe upgrade. you may be surprised..... --Joe.

EDIT: one more thing you said "At the most we are talking 1-2 whp in the exhaust system by the looks of things."

Maybe PEAK horsepower but as i witnessed in my dyno gains throughout the midrange jumped in places upwards of 15 whp in areas!! Just something you should also consider when chosing a setup.--
    Last edited by 02blksi; 12-09-2002 at 06:54 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information