Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 speed gearbox

JSS0751

Lightbulb 6 speed gearbox

Has anyone put the 6 speed transmission form the RSX into an EP3? What other parts are needed besides the trans? This car really needs that 6th gear to get rpm down on highway.

Thanks for the help,

I agree....

According to Honda, the tranny was specifically designed for the EP, but I dont understand why they would make 5th gear taller, like an overdrive gear. As the ratios are right now, I wish I had a 6th gear.

In fact yesterday I was driving on the freeway with alot on my mind and was in "auto pilot" mode, mentally, and I actually tried shifting into "6th" gear sensing that it was time to shift ( I was going about 85) But i laughed to myself and thought I must really need an extra gear for high speed cruising. ;)

i'm kinda glad we don't... i'd kill myself trying to hit 160... that's why i don't buy a motorcycle....

yet ;)

Visit me @ K-Series.com Mugen_EP's Avatar
    If you put a sixth gear in the EP you would need to shave inside of the shifter to be able to hit reverse. There isnt enough room for all 7 gears in the stock setup. (7= 6 + reverse)

Doit right or don't do it

Unhappy

I am forever trying to shift into 6th. Does not help that I used to drive and still drive on ocasion a 6 speed Trans Am. I really wish I had a 6th gear.:(

yep, only thing I was a little annoyed with, when I found it didn't come with a 6spd trany. I seam to try to head to 6th also, from time to time, just by listening to the motor, sounds like time to shift, then I go, wait, right when in neutral, and pop it back in 5th, sucks.
    THAT IS ALSO THE FIRST THING EVERYONE ASKED WHEN HEY STEP INTO THE CAR. IS IT A SIX SPD???
    nevermind I feel like showing them the crowbar in the hatch everytime they add, "the matrix has a 6spd"

I don't think RSX-S tranny would help you much for highway travel. AFAIK the 6th speed in the RSX tranny is the same ratio as 5th gear in ours (3-5 are just different). The only thing left that might help would be the final drive ratio, which I don't remember, but I think it ends up the same ;) It's on here somewhere though, if you want to search.

NXK20
    My wife has an se-r spec v and after driving it I always catch myself trying to go to sixth. It would make for alot better gas mileage being at about 2500 at 70 rather than 3500.

JSS0751
    I was not sure if the 6th gear in the RSX trans was the same as 5th in the original gearbox. If ist was lower, then you could go to a taller final drive ratio.(but with the higher redline of the RSX, I suspect that it's not much different.

Does anyone know where I can get the actual ratios for all the gears in both transmissions?

only place I know from is the dealers...I might have them somewhere around here, will have to check and get back later...

For the Type-S:
    Transmission
    Gear Ratios
    1 : 3.266:1
    2 : 2.130:1
    3 : 1.517:1
    4 : 1.147:1
    5 : 0.921:1
    6 : 0.738:1
    Final drive : 4.388:1

For the Si:
    Gear Ratios:
    1st 3.062
    2nd 1.769
    3rd 1.212
    4th 0.921
    5th 0.738
    Reverse 3.583
    Final Drive 4.764

I'm surprised at how much shorter the RSX's first two gears are than the Si's. But, there you have it, RSX 5th = Si 4th, and RSX 6th = Si 5th.

However, the final drive for the RSX is a bit taller (which kinda negates the shorter 1-3 ratios), so you would be able to run the engine at lower RPM at the same cruising speed.

Which brings up the question -- is it simpler to change just the final drive of the transmission, and if so, who would be willing to give up a bit of the zing that the Si's got in the lower gears?

I remember reading an article (SCC?) where they swapped the K20A2 into the Si. They said that even though the motor drops right in, they had to screw around quite a bit to get the 6-spd tranny to translate into the Si's shifter.

Thanks for posting the gear ratios, I was too lazy to look them up. But the key to our transmission is our final drive. When they say that this car is geared aggressively, the final drive is what they're referring to. Why would anyone want to give up acceleration by making their final drive ratio smaller?? Sure you'd be at lower rpm when you're cruising at 70mph, but to me it's a tradeoff that's not worth it.

I'd agree about changing the final drive -- unless there were other significant engine mods also. If you've got an extra 50-100 hp and more torque, then it wouldn't hurt too much to have a taller final drive.

More gears would be good for a traditionally "narrow" powerband. The Si's got a decently flat torque curve, though, and it's fast enough for me to get ticketed anyway.

Now I'm wondering -- what can be done with a CVT? When that technology matures well enough, would it be possible to have "gear ratio maps" in the same principle as fuel-air ECU maps? Can a CVT change its gearing to suit the driving style of the moment?

Or has that been done already?

I don't know if you guys are especially interested in this, but you can get a K20/K24 close-ration six-speed with Torsen axle from Spoon for $1600-$1700 or so.

Torsen -- there's a design I don't seem to hear enough about. Audi was making a name for it with their Quattros in the 80's. Why don't more car manufacturers use it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information