Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shift Light

Shift Light

I want a shift light, I don't want a huge f'n tach either. Is there a wire you can tap into and just hook up a plain LED to activate? Whats up with that 'blue' wire i always hear people talk about in regards to tach hook up on an EP.
    Last edited by sniperSI; 05-29-2003 at 04:03 PM.

im thinking about that too as well. i dont want huge tach but i kinda want shiftlight, and about blue wire. when you take out guage cluster. there should be blue wire which you can tap in there for shiftlight. i think you can hook it up to ecu wire as well. ( you can get to ecu by taking out glovebox)

razo makes a shift light that I'm going to get here one day :D It goes anywhere you want. My friend put his right on top of the steering column. It's small and not even noticeable. You can even take it out for when you don't want it in the car. It's awsome. I believe www.optauto.com sells them.

Pivot makes a tiny one too that plugs into the cig lighter.
    The actual shift light is a single LED in a housing that is about the size of a penny and about 1/4 inch thick. It has a unit to adjust the rpm settings and brightness.
    I installed this with the light facing the speedo so the whole speedo flashes. Very stealthy too. Most people can't even see it when they sit in the drivers seat.
    Check out the vid I posted a while back at This Link

the control module was mounted in the pocket. There are newer versions of this light and looks much better than what I have but I'm not complaining. It costs about $200 CAD for this unit.

I know picture are much better than words so here's a couple more
    Can you see where the light is?

here's a close up of the pic above. Keep in mind that you're suppose to mount it the other way around but I like the effect of the dash lighting up instead of pointing the light towards me and have my face light up.

I've used a good digital meter on the blue wire testing voltage/amperage/ohmage/continuity while sitting in my driveway revving the engine, but alas no results.

Either I need to ground it differently (like to the head instead of the battery) or set it up so the vehicle is rolling next, but I havent had any luck figuring out the secret to hacking it, eve with the Helms.

When I figure it out, I'll let everyone know.

Originally posted by i-WERKS
    here's a close up of the pic above. Keep in mind that you're suppose to mount it the other way around but I like the effect of the dash lighting up instead of pointing the light towards me and have my face light up.
    that's pretty cool i-werks :D where did you buy yours? Razo is almost the same, I assume that the unit is sitting in that part of the dash (with the yellow letters). Razo is about the same size.

I like what you did with yours

I wonder if grounding wires will hurt the performance of the cigarrette lighter-based shift lights, assuming they work by reading fluctuations that grounding wires would eliminate. We've already heard about grounding wires killing the rev reading on a g-tech

How do you install them(Razo and Pivot ones)? Do you just plug them to cigarette lighter, or you need to do extra wiring (open the center console, tap into wires, etc)?

I want one, but I really suck at installing electronics.:D

I'm not sure about the Razo one but the Pivot plugs into the cigarette lighter.

Originally posted by i-WERKS
    I'm not sure about the Razo one but the Pivot plugs into the cigarette lighter.
    So the pivot plugs into the cig lighter, and that's it right?

does plug in shiftlight actually accurate?

Yes the Pivot one plugs into the cig lighter.
    It's pretty accurate. I mean I when I set it to go off at a certain RPM, it'll go off each and everytime.
    I'm sure there are other units out there that maybe more accurate but this one is good enough for my needs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information