Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Holding Monster says: dustinhurley's Avatar

detailed pics of JDM Honda side skirts are here

I finally got around to taking some pics. I stopped by the body shop today, should get my car tomorrow.

Last edited by dustinhurley; 06-23-2003 at 02:14 PM.

damn i didn't know you had to do all that. i was thinking about skirts, but i don't want to commit to them forever. can't we use tape on the skrits or something?

Does anyone know what goes here? There are 2 or 3 sets of these holes. When the skirt is mounted, the bottom of it (the part that bends underneath the car) is about 2" away from the underbody of the car. So, we think there is some sort of rubber or plastic support bushing that is screwed in between the body of the car and the side skirt, and it would go where these extra holes are. Without something like this, the bottom of the side skirt can flex a lot and potentially break over speed bumps or something.

Last edited by dustinhurley; 06-23-2003 at 02:11 PM.

Originally posted by jerky
    damn i didn't know you had to do all that. i was thinking about skirts, but i don't want to commit to them forever. can't we use tape on the skrits or something?
    No, I would not suggest tape. If you look carefully, there is not very much of the side skirt that sits flush with the car. Around the border of skirt, there is a black rubber lining similar to the lining on the OEM spoiler. If you took this off, and tried to put tape in its place, you could only use tape maybe 1/4" thick. Which means you would have to trim the tape down and it would also be visible. The other option would be to pop out all of the little clips and put little squares of tape in their place. I don't like that idea either because it doesn't seem strong enough. If you look at the 4th pic in the list, that little white strip is tape. Notice how there is a black riser behind it to make it flush with the body of the car.

maybe you could take the plastic clips off and use double sided tape instead???

edit: ignore me... i didn't read ahead before posting... doh!
    Last edited by glw; 06-23-2003 at 06:24 PM.

The other option would be to pop out all of the little clips and put little squares of tape in their place. I don't like that idea either because it doesn't seem strong enough. If you look at the 4th pic in the list, that little white strip is tape. Notice how there is a black riser behind it to make it flush with the body of the car.

Visit me @ K-Series.com Mugen_EP's Avatar
    I used double stick tape on mine because I didnt want to drill holes and they hold on just fine. I've had them on for at least four months now and no problems...here she is

ephatch member

Talking

Hi there Mugen_EP !! Did you apply the double sided tape to the clip points ( of course with clips removed) , and did you apply in any other parts of skirt underside . And you did of course use the mount holes at the front of the skirt that rests inside the fender well with the wheel wheel clips/screws???

Any close up shots ?

work then mod
    I almost puked seeing that many holes drilled in the si. I couldn't take knowing there are like 15 non factory drilled holes in my new car. Best of luck to you down the road. I'd be afraid of getting one hit and having it do more damage to the car.

mugen that shit is beautimus:*

I've had bad experience with doube sided tape, and know a lot of people who have also. I had a rear bumper lip on my old EK that was taped on and screwed at the fenders. I was driving at night and a dead animal of some sort was in the road. There was traffic, so I had to strattle it with my car. It hit the rear lip and ripped the tape clean off. The bumper was hanging by the 2 screws. My car was not that low and the animal barely touched the lip, I didn't even hear it happen. So when I went to reapply the tape, there was year old tape residue on the paint. Needless to say, that was not coming off without damaging the paint. I was forced to put new tape over the residue, which made the bumper bulge out and not look flush. I know of similar incidents that other people have had, and some with side skirts. A friend of mine ruined a pair of C-West side skirts because the tape wasn't secure enough. Also, note that the Civic Type-R comes with these holes from the factory. And it does not take a rocket scientist to measure, drill, and rust proof some holes.

do you think there may be possibility to drill only two invisible holes and use stickies for the rest instead of drilling the whole side?

Visit me @ K-Series.com Mugen_EP's Avatar
    Originally posted by rswbrixton
    Hi there Mugen_EP !! Did you apply the double sided tape to the clip points ( of course with clips removed) , and did you apply in any other parts of skirt underside . And you did of course use the mount holes at the front of the skirt that rests inside the fender well with the wheel wheel clips/screws???

Any close up shots ?
    Yes I applied them on the clip points and I used the mounting holes in the front fender well and under neath the car.

and thank you Makross.:)

mine sits flush without any of the hole drilling too.

hey mugenEP what brand of tape did you use?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information