Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Shifter bushings installed

I found these shifter bushings available for the RSX, they are supposed to replace the rubber bushings that mount the shifter assembly. After you remove the stock bushings, the aluminum units are installed above and below the shifter frame. Bolting it down makes the assembly solid. I installed some and found that the bushings are only required on the bottom of the shifter frame. The bolts are placed directly against the shifter frame. It really firmed up the shifts, no more side-to-side or for-and-aft play like you find with the stock rubber mounts.

Here's my offer.
    I'd like to look at the design of a short shifter, either Neuspeed or DC. I'll give the other four bushings to anyone in the LA area who would be willing to let me look at their short shifter for a day, I'll return it the next day. You'll have to remove it because I need to take dimensions. LA peeps, how about it?

*EDIT* Don't need an actual short short shifter to look at anymore, I figured out the design from pics. Thanks to all who offered.

Last edited by cpu519; 08-07-2003 at 01:42 PM.

How much did these cost and how long did the installation take?

Planning on making a copy of the shortshifter? If you do, I'll buy one off of you. :p

I saw these bushings for sale, how do you like them so far in the EP? I feel like I'm gonna break something everytime I shift hard with the rubber bushings.

They cost $12 on Ebay, other places sell them for up to $20 a set. Installation took about 15 minutes, the hardest part is removing the shift boot cover. Be careful, the tabs on the top right and left hold it firmly. If you don't remove it just right the cover will crack. I have a hairline crack on the top right of my cover, pissed my off. Use a small screwdriver covered with tape and then hold the screwdriver 90 degress to the edge of the cover, and carefully pry the top corners free.

does it help with the "notchy ness" or just make things solid?
    Formerly known as Plainol2k2si

Originally posted by ep3guy
    Planning on making a copy of the shortshifter? If you do, I'll buy one off of you. :p

I saw these bushings for sale, how do you like them so far in the EP? I feel like I'm gonna break something everytime I shift hard with the rubber bushings.
    I'm going to make a version that does the same thing, it might not look exactly the same because of machining peculiarities. Then I'll test it and see if I can make one with a shorter throw. The best I found these for is $89, if I can produce these economically enough, I'll sell them. But, it's only my brother and I working in our shop, so it might take some time before we can get these out there.

The bushings get rid of the movement of the shifter frame, it's more solidly attached. Shifts are firm and solid. It helps with the notchiness because the lever movement is better directed into moving the transmission's shift mechanism.

But what it doesn't do is prevent the shifter from moving too far during hard shifts, that would require some kind of travel stops on the shifter assembly. My 5.0 Mustang has an aftermarket shifter made out of billet aluminum and steel that has adjustable travel stops. You can shift as hard as you want. The lever stops solidly at each gear and there's much less of a chance of damaging the trans. The Si shifter is made of plastic, there's a lot of flex and play in the mechanism that would take some work to get rid of.
    Last edited by cpu519; 07-23-2003 at 03:01 PM.

Originally posted by cpu519

The bushings get rid of the movement of the shifter frame, it's more solidly attached. Shifts are firm and solid. It helps with the notchiness because the lever movement is better directed into moving the transmission's shift mechanism.

But what it doesn't do is prevent the shifter from moving too far during hard shifts, that would require some kind of travel stops on the shifter assembly. My 5.0 Mustang has an aftermarket shifter made out of billet aluminum and steel that has adjustable travel stops. You can shift as hard as you want. The lever stops solidly at each gear and there's much less of a chance of damaging the trans. The Si shifter is made of plastic, there's a lot of flex and play in the mechanism that would take some work to get rid of.
    so...what do you propose we do? and how much will this cost? is it readily avail? cuz i want one!

so the kit came with 8 but you only need 4?

Originally posted by plainol2k2si

so...what do you propose we do? and how much will this cost? is it readily avail? cuz i want one!
    I don't think we can do anything about the flimsyness of the shifter, our cars don't attract the aftermarket manufacturers that much. The RSX is a much more popular car, and the only shifter that has come out for it is the Revo and it's still made of plastic.

Yeah the kit has 8 pieces but you only need 4.

I just got my used Neuspeed short shifter in the mail, but I'm not in SoCal.

If you check the RSX forum, there's an additional set of washers and cotter pins that's being sold that makes the replacement bushings even better. http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?threadid=83552

If both of those were made available in an EP3 specific package for around $25, you'd sell a lot of them.

Shu Shu retarded flu oogy-boogy's Avatar
    Interesting thread.....keep us posted.;)
    Mel

but you are thinking of making a stronger shifter right? if you do...please hook us up! it would be great to actually shift hard without it feeling like its breaking!

Where in LA are you located? I have the Neuspeed short shift adapter.

I live in Wilmington, near Carson, off PCH.

Fondles The 12 Inch
    i work in carson with a neuspeed shifter... at dominguez hills

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information