Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Cool Ok.. dyno runs for 3 EPs today

From right to left, SmoothOperator, JSIR and myself met up today and compared
    our cars on the dyno. They are Set up quite differently.

First the group shot...

My Dyno Sheet...

2 runs, both very consistent. First was
    128.3 torque and 147.2 wHP, and second was
    128.5 torque and 147.8 wHP. One thing that was noticable on my
    graph was the hump at 4800 rpm (i-vtec).

My Dyno Video

Now JSIR's...

This was his best run,
    128.1 torque and 153.6 wHP, the second lower graph is
    of the stock baseline, just for comparison. (121.8 torque 137.0 wHP)

JSIR's Dyno Video

Smooth ran numbers comparable to Stock baseline. Here are some
    pics of smooths EP, a very nice looking ride.

I had a great time guys and thanks again.

My Ever Lovin SIR...;)

Canuck
    thanks for posting the pics Glen and recording the vids, luv the camera. My dyno sheet doesn't show up though, no biggie.

I wish I had done one more dyno run 'cause I ran the 153.6 whp with crappy Bosch spark plugs. On the next run with the stock plugs put back in the engine I was making about 2 whp more power all the way through the power curve but the dyno operator didn't pull it to redline, he stopped about 6500 rpms. Otherwise I should have kissed 155 whp I think. We need some more revs out of this engine, the power curve is still climbing at redline, I think 160 whp is achievable with a few more revs.

Word to the wise, do not use Bosch +4 spark plugs, overpriced gimmicky plugs is all they are, stock plugs made more power at all rpms compared to the Bosch.

nice pics Glen !

Hmmm, JSIR, your graph shows up for me, try exiting out of this
    forum and back again, that usually works. On a side note I got
    lazy this afternoon and spent the evening with family, so the
    Heatshield will go in later, along with a dyno showing that
    for comparison. After looking at the graphs again I found that
    we were very compatable in overall torque, and you seemed to
    peak in hp just at the rev limiter. I would seem that all components
    and differences we have still add up to the same effect. I know
    we have a long way to go on these and yes 160 at the wheels
    is not far off.

Nice numbers

I think my first run stock on the RSX was 174 WHP
    with CAI 180...

Originally posted by HighRev-thug
    Nice numbers

I think my first run stock on the RSX was 174 WHP
    with CAI 180...
    I would love to have a 7900 rpm redline and 11:1 comp ratio too.

Am working on getting the stock revs up to 7800. tks Hondata.

creator of ephatch DownTheHatch's Avatar
    Thats cool that you guys met up, very close runs! Sounds like you had fun.

Originally posted by myeverlovinsir

I would love to have a 7900 rpm redline and 11:1 comp ratio too.

Am working on getting the stock revs up to 7800. tks Hondata.
    Yeah redline is 7.9K but fuel cut off is not till 8.2k hondata should help the K20 engine alot exp teh I-vtec
    I think its 8.6k on the rsx or 8.9k at your own risk i would love to have 8.9k fuelcut off that got to be sweet

nikkotyper
    So what is the difference between JSIR's EP and myeverlovinsir's EP?

I know that JSIR has custom midpipe, SRI, HP headers and 64mm throttle body.
    I know that myeverlovinsir has DC headers, custom midpipe and AEM CAI.

I cannot discern from the dyno sheet but doesn't it seem that myeverlovinsir's car should be making more low end torque given that it has a CAI and 4-2-1 header?

And, how did the throttle body work out?

Thanks for posting your results.

Banned
    great info

W

Canuck
    Well there are lots of factors, but mainly different parts, different vehicle, and additional parts on my car. But like you I expected to have much less torque than Glen's car because his header is a 4-2 design, and the AEM intake usually makes good bottom end and mid range power. I'm running the 4-1 HP header and short ram intake. But the bottom end torque was pretty similar between cars, and the bottom end torque was as good as the stock setup - nothing makes more torque than the stock setup with its tiny midpipe, small header, and long intake box. We are both using the same type of midpipe, with the stock muffler.

My last dyno session (before the throttle body upgrade) the car was making 149.8 whp, so Glen's car is very close to that mark, within a hp or two. Since then I have modified the throttle body, that is the only new part which could have increased the top end power.

From all of our testing I can tell you these cars are strange animals when it comes to tuning. I've come to several conclusions when it comes to tuning this engine, needless to say I've been quite surprised seeing how different parts work.
    Last edited by JSIR; 10-27-2002 at 08:56 AM.

nikkotyper
    Regarding your comment about the low redline. I think Hondata will fix that. I have been following all hondata threads at clubrsx.com and Shawn Church said that hondata techs were testing base rsx and managed to raise the redline to 7600 rpm. They also noticed that base rsx does not show much improvement up top (mostly low end) because of the dual runner intake manifold. Since we have very similar design of the intake manifold to the Type S, and that engine responded beautifully up top, I am hopefull that hondata will manage to squeeze more top end out of our rendition of K20A3 engine. There is a guy at clubrsx that has his base ECU reflashed already and he says that the bottom end is awsame.
    Let's hope they do some similar magic with ours.

ephatch member
    nice numbers:)

Canuck
    I think a 7500 rpm redline would be perfect, even 7400 would help me out. It wouldn't do much on a stock setup as the power drops off to quick, but with basic bolt-ons it would help. With just a 7500 rpm redline and the ability to lean out the fuel up top 160 whp should be easily reached, any other mods the Hondata system can do on ignition timing would be bonus. Right now our engine appears to be running overly rich at the very top end. I wonder what rpm level our stock valvesprings could handle, if its 7600 rpms that is pretty decent. That is strange that a base RSX already has a re-flashed ecu, I'm somewhat doubtful of that claim as Hondata is about the fastest progressing company in that area of tuning. It could be true but it seems unlikely to me. hmmm.
    Last edited by JSIR; 10-27-2002 at 11:23 AM.

JSIR what headers do you have ?

Thanks Glen for posting up all that info! Hopefully by spring I'll have my DC ceramic header, and AEM CAI. I pray to god that brings my numbers up considerably. I also wish I went with lighter wheels....I think the 17's brought my numbers down too :) Oh well that's the price you pay for looks!
    I'm going to follow JSIR's lead with the throttle body...around 5hp for $150! Can't beat that.
    Now that I've got my wheels, suspension, and security system out of the way, I can now focus on the engine. It's no fun being the weakling of the 3 EPs! Hopefully we'll hook up again springtime, and I can save face! lol

Thanks again Joey for the dyno hookup. It was an interesting experience (I was a first timer), and I definately plan on seeing my progress as I add additional parts. See you guys around ;)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information