Close

SLOlife

More on the "economy K20 engone"

From http://hondanews.com

2.4-Liter i-VTEC 4-Cylinder Engine
    The dual-overhead cam i-VTEC engine delivers 160-horsepower and 161-lb.-ft. of torque. The i-VTEC system (the "i" stands for "intelligent") combines Honda's patented VTEC system (Variable Valve Timing and Electronic Lift Control) with Honda's cam position-adjusting VTC system (Variable Timing Control) to enhance low rpm torque while extending high rpm horsepower. This potent system gives the engine a broad torque curve that starts early at low RPMs, similar to a larger displacement engine with more cylinders, while still delivering high revving horsepower.

i-VTEC = VTEC + VTC
    Most modern engine designs produce either high horsepower and low torque or low horsepower and high torque, or a bland variation of the two. Honda's i-VTEC-equipped engines solve this dilemma, delivering both high horsepower and high torque. The combination of conventional VTEC technology with VTC provides the engine with strong low- and mid-range punch as well as a robust high end by adjusting the opening and closing of cylinder head valves while the engine is operating. To accomplish this, the i-VTEC "intelligent" valve timing system adjusts and optimizes camshaft duration (VTEC) and timing (VTC) as the engine transitions from low-speed to high-speed operation. Controlled via a computer and hydraulically activated, i-VTEC constantly evaluates engine load, rpm, throttle position and other factors to adjust the phase and duration of the camshaft. Element's i-VTEC systems operate with a two-rocker configuration on the intake camshaft. The exhaust camshaft is not i-VTEC-controlled.

Another benefit of VTC is the internal exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) effect created by the valve overlap. Internal EGR reduces pumping losses and eliminates the need for a separate EGR valve. The i-VTEC cylinder head is made of pressure cast aluminum alloy. Its four-valve per cylinder design has double overhead camshafts activated by a silent chain drive to ensure extremely precise control of the cam phasing. The VTEC system is comprised of the following primary components: VTEC rocker arm, VTEC spool valve and computer controlled VTEC hydraulic actuator. Similarly, the VTC system is comprised of the following primary components: computer-controlled VTC hydraulic actuator, VTC spool valve and cam sensor. Depending on conditions, VTC can vary the phasing of the intake cam (change its position relative to the crankshaft) by +/- 25 degrees in infinite increments. VTC activation is accomplished hydraulically via a spool valve that sends high-pressure oil to passages in an actuator located in the cam's drive sprocket.

Range of i-VTEC Operations:
    Condition
    VTC Valve Timing VTEC Valve Timing Benefit
    Idle
    Retarded Low-profile cam Smooth Idle
    Full Throttle (low rpm)
    Advanced Low-profile cam Increased Torque
    Full Throttle (high rpm)
    Retarded High-profile cam Increased Horsepower
    Mid Throttle (cruising)
    Advanced Low-profile cam Overlap for EGR effect,
    economy and smoothness

This is for the Element, that has the same engine as the CR-V which is similar to our engine. Duh:D

or read it here honda

ephatch member

Cool

cool

Thread Information